Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Kate's first day of 1st Grade!

The first day of 1st Grade has arrived! Kate was SO excited to get back to school & see all her friends again!

Last night I asked her to make her first day of school sign.  I asked her to add a 2nd sheet to say what she wanted to be when she grows up.  She said she had to decide between a zookeeper, barber or teacher.   She said she may end of doing all 3 of them... starting with a zookeeper for 3 yrs, then retiring and becoming a teacher or barber.

In West Des Moines, kindergarteners are picked up at their doorstep. However,  after kindergarten you are assigned a bus stop to walk to.  Our stop is a small walk down the road.  Kate & Will were little chatterboxes with their friends this morning waiting for the bus to arrive.

"It's Here!"  Kate wasn't nervous at all.  I walked her right up to greet Ms. Patty her driver while Brett had to hold Will back from boarding the bus as well.  Poor Will, he desperately wanted to join her!

 On a funny note,  this afternoon I was patiently waiting for Kate to arrive at the same bus stop once again. However, the bus pulled up and there was no Kate to be found.  Ms. Patty stepped off the bus and deeply appologized stating she dropped Kate off at our driveway instead!  Weirdly enough, the bus does have to drive past our house to get to our stop, so Ms. Patty twisted the rules a bit and thought she'd just drop Kate off at home.   So there Kate was at home and I was down the street at her bus stop!  So funny that I would miss her on her first day.  We got everything straightened out for tomorrow. Best of all,  Kate thought it was pretty cool that she got to be home alone for those brief 5 minutes it took me to get back to the house!  Oh, the little pleasures in life!

The highlight of 1st grade so far is that Kate no longer has to sit at tables. SHE HAS HER OWN DESK!!!! Her desk is labeled and right at the front of the classroom.  There is a Katie and a Katelyn in her class with her this yr.  We're hoping she gets to be called Kate, and not Kate V. like last year.  Because, if you ask her,  she is NOT Katie, her name is Kate!

She was super excited to meet Ms. Burger last night at the Ice Cream Social at school.  Ms. Burger seems very sweet and caring.  I think Kate will love having her for her teacher very much!  

No comments: