Sunday, July 11, 2010

5K Race and Tadpole Trot

Okay, my blogging is always super behind, but back on June 19th I ran my first road race with my great friend Lori. Lori always has a race on her calendar to keep her running and in shape and convinced me to join her! Well, I did it!! I achieved 2 0f 2 goals.....
1. I never walked during the race, despite the description of the coarse being "rolling hills" AKA Start the race running up a hill and continue with hills the entire run!!
2. I didn' t finish last. Brett said I was right in the middle of the pack. I never did get my final place or time, but I really didn't care as long as finished.

Kate and Will ran the Tadpole trot later that morning. Here is Will eating his carbs to gear up for his first race. He got cold feet right before the race started as there weren't that many 1 yr. olds signed up, so he had to race against the 2 yr. olds who were a good head taller than him. His race entailed Mommy carrying him while running to keep up with the pack!

Kate was super pumped for the 3 yr old race. She "trained" with me the week before to get ready for the big day. I explained to her in advance that a "Winner" is someone who starts and runs all the way to the finish line. All of this was done to prevent the meltdown at the end if (and when) she didn't get 1st place. She ran very well and was super pumped to get a cold juice box from the Valley highschool cheerleaders at the end!


Here's the 3 runners of the family. Brett distinguished himself as "Kalvin Kodak" that day, taking many photos and videotaping the big event. Maybe next yr. we'll have 4 runners in the family? Hey I can try!

And finally, Nana came up to watch the race. Since this was our first race, I really made a big deal over it and how I REALLY wanted a crowd cheering me on at the finish line, or finding me in the woods when I passed out from heat stroke, whichever came first. She was a great help and we had a great time together!!
Now I am contemplating increasing the challenge to a 10K this fall? Lori and I are still running and the P90X program is finally starting to kick in a bit. Maybe the big jump isn't too far out of reach. Check back in a few months and maybe I'll have an answer.





1 comment:

Julie said...

YES, you can do a 10K!! Great job Jane!! :)