Sunday, June 1, 2014

Swim Lessons and Swim Team

I have spent most of the months of April and May at our YMCA pool because BOTH of my children have decided to turn into fish!   Kate has been asking to try out for swim team for a least a year now, but I just wasn't sure she was ready for it. So I signed Kate and Will up for 2 months of swim lessons to get them ready for the summer.  They loved every minute of it!

We have taken swim lessons through the Des Moines Parks and Rec for the past few years and have enjoyed it.  But I have to say I was really impressed with the techniques the Y has to get the kids excited to swim and teach them their strokes. 

So after 1 month of lessons summer swim team try outs arrived.  Kate didn't hesitate once when I asked her if she was interested in trying out for the team.  I have to say,  I was SO NERVOUS for her during her try out.  I was on the edge of my seat watching, trying to act calm and cool, yet my heart was pumping so hard on the inside.   She swam very hard and we were both pleased with her performance.  About a week later we got the results....... Da Da Da DAAAAA 
SHE MADE THE TEAM!!!!!    Oh my goodness was this girl excited!!    Her schedule has been pretty intense so far during pre-season.  Three 1 1/2 hr practices a week = Lots of book reading on the pool deck for me :)  So far Kate has loved every minute of it despite being totally exhausted by the end of each practice.   We are all excited to get the swim meets started.

In the meantime,  Will continues to work hard each week at his lessons.  Every week he asks me "Mom, am I going to swim team practice or just lessons tonight?"  He cracks me up so much because he is SO much wanting to be on the swim team with his big sister and has no reservations on whether he thinks he can do it our not!  In Will's mind he thinks he should have started swim team months ago!! 

1 comment:

Julie said...

Yay Kate! Way to go! Too bad that pool isn't outside so you could get tan Jane! :) Sounds like the kids sleep well at night with all that swimming.