Sunday, May 17, 2020

Renovation Rewind Jan 2018

Once the Holiday Season was over, we really dove into the addition and renovation of the main floor of our house.   Kate and Will love the show "Fixer Upper" with Chip and Joanna Gaines, so they were all about role playing like we were making our own show.   

This is a picture of the addition which is the new family room.  It faces out into the woods and creek behind our house.  

The old living room is now turning into the dining space with a pocket door into an office for Brett. 

Many walls were removed for a more open concept.  The old kitchen and dining room were combined to become 1 large kitchen.  

The beginnings of the office with a small window for sunlight and fresh air. 

A view of the kitchen and the framework for the peninsula dividing the kitchen and the new family room. 

The main floor bathroom was moved.  It use to be right off the kitchen which was kind of weird.  We designed a mudroom right in from the garage with a bathroom at the end of the hall instead.  

AND in the midst of this reno chaos I randomly came down wrong on my left foot while out on a jog and broke my foot!  It started out as a stress fracture......

But 2 days into walking in the boot, I stood and turned and felt a SNAP!   X-rays revealed I really broke the foot then and became nonweightbearing for 8 weeks!   Keep in mind..... our bedrooms are on the 2nd floor and we moved our kitchen and living space solely to the basement during the renovation.  Therefore, I had a knee scooter to use out of the house and crutches for in the house.  And lots of crawling and scooting on my rear end up and down the stairs.  

Brett shook his head, in disbelief and had a long talk with the kids about being more independent and not expecting Mom to be able to help with everything like I usually do.  I don't think I could have picked a worse time to break my foot! 
Here's a pic of the dining space which also looks out into the woods.  

We did have to make a few changes in our master bedroom.  The room had a set of french doors that led out to a small balcony that we honestly never used.  With the addition, the balcony had to go.   

So we replaced it with a large window instead.  

Our house is an all electric house..  Yep, no gas which I loved as our utility bills have been amazingly low the entire 15 yrs we have lived here.  But..... I really wanted to have a gas stove top and gas fireplace.  So a good friend of ours in the heating and cooling business helped us out and ran a gas line to the house for us :)

Every week more changes are happening.  We got pretty excited when the cabinets started to arrive!!   Stay tuned for more updates :)

No comments: